My daughter and I had oatmeal for lunch today. Oatmeal was one of her first solid foods and continues to be a favorite. Of course, the oatmeal I serve her now is very different than what I served her as a baby.
Baby Oatmeal (6 months+)
- 1/4 cup oatmeal ground to powder in food processor or blender
- 3/4 cup water
- Boil water in a small sauce pan.Add oatmeal powder, reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes. Cool to room temperature before serving.
As my daughter grew, I started adding all kinds of random things to oatmeal. No fruit or vegetable was safe.
Young Toddler Oatmeal (8 months+)
- 1/4 cup old fashioned oatmeal
- 1/2 cup water can use half water and half milk
- 1/4 cup bite size vegetables I used a frozen vegi mix containing corn, peas, and carrots
- Combine first two ingredients in a large bowl and microwave for 4 minutes. Steam vegetables until soft (about 4-6 minutes). Stir vegetables into the oatmeal. Serve at room temperature
I love oatmeal too. After much experimentation I found a optimal recipe for us to enjoy together.
Applesauce oatmeal (18 months+)
- 1/2 cup old fashioned oatmeal
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup applesauce
- cinnamon to taste
- Combine first three ingredients in a large bowl Microwave for 5 minutes. Stir in applesauce and cinnamon.