This is the only dessert I ever remember my father making. Why mess with perfection? The ingredients are easy to remember and the 1:1 proportions can be scaled to any size. I have made everything from a 1 apple crisp in a ramekin to a 9×13 inch pan full for a potluck. It always turns out well. This is my go to semi-healthy dessert.
It can also be prepared ahead and stored in the refrigerator for up to 24 hours before baking. The leftovers are delicious for breakfast.
Simple and delicious dessert packed with whole grains.
- 1/4 cup rolled oats
- 1/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup wheat germ
- 1/4 cup butter
- ~4 large apples
- 1 tbsp lemon juice optional
- 1 tbsp honey optional
- Preheat the oven to 350 F
- Combine the first six ingredients together in a large bowl and cut together with a pastry cutter
- Peel and thinly slice enough apples to mostly fill a 9x9 baking dish
- If apples are crisp or you are making ahead drizzle with a tablespoons of lemon juice over the apples
- If desired, drizzle apples with honey to add sweetness
- Pour topping over apples to form an even coating and press down lightly
- Bake until apples are soft or about 45 minutes